March 21, 2009

Remote Assistance - Success Story

My best friend lives in 2000 kilometers from me. We meet each other once a year at best. And only Internet allows us to be aware of each other's everyday news and problems.

My friend works as a tutor for a well-known language school; her students live all over the world and communicate with her via Internet. If something is wrong with her computer her work gets locked. I'm a programmer, so my friend considers me to be a computer genius and often asks for assistance in setting up new software, editing documents and images, etc.

Usually I'm able to help her remotely, without seeing what's happening on her computer. But sometimes I really need to have an access to her computer.

Once she called me asking to help with fixing her browser. Every time she opened a web page, a huge advertisement was displayed over the page and she wasn't able to access neither search engine to find a solution, no her web-based workspace. It was definitely a virus.

Her antivirus didn't help. So I decided to have a closer look at her computer. We tried built-in Windows Remote Assistance but without any success - she used a router and there was no way to connect to her computer directly. Some research brought me to REMOTE-DESKTOP-CONTROL.COM website. They claimed that their system could reach any remote computer, even those behind firewalls, routers and having dynamic IPs. 30-day fully functional trial was enough to fix everything on my friend's computer.

I've downloaded and installed Remote Desktop Control's Admin Module on my computer and sent the installer to my friend via Skype. She installed Host Module. I've created an account in Internet Gateway server, provided my account name and password to my friend - and that was it!

I was able to fully control her computer, check and edit the system registry, use System Configuration Utility, manage drivers and devices, I was even able to reboot her computer remotely! No action was needed from my friend's side. So while she was watching her favorite TV show I fixed her computer and she was able to assist her students again.

We kept this remote software on our computers and even purchased a license: Now any time she needs help with her computer, I just connect to it using Remote Desktop Control. This saves us a lot of time and typing, and we can spend more time chatting about more pleasant things then computer problems.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You could also take a look at RHUB http://www.rhubcom.com remote support solution. It has some great features that allow knowledge sharing, in-session online training, and guaranteed remote connection, which can be ideal for Remote Support. The wonderful thing is it doesn’t require any download at all.